Marcia Brooks/Various Works enjoyed incredible momentum in 2014. In February we shared our first public evening in Greenwich, CT with 130 audience members. The company of seven women performed four repertory pieces and eleven other dancers performed a structured improv with us during the program. About eighty audience members and collaborators celebrated with us afterward at a wonderful reception, catered by Crew restaurant of Greenwich. It was a lovely crowd of dance lovers to share a cold February evening with, and this encouraged us to think about doing more!
Two months later we launched MiXt Co., a seasonal dance class series and performance project, providing access to amazing master teachers and a protected outlet for the ongoing practice of dance making. Our premiere season last spring with Peter Kyle and Tara Lee Burns was a wonderful success. We then had nearly twice as many participants for the fall season with John J Zullo and Gwen Welliver. The growth of interest is palpable, as I continue to receive emails and comments from friends, colleagues and community members who want to join us in 2015.
Our next stage of development promises to be exciting:
• We want to spread the word about the MiXt Co. program to more people. We plan to bring on a Development Associate to help us connect with more people who may be interested.
• We plan to offer a Professional Dance Grant, designed for professional dancers on work hiatus or in transitional career stages, who want to make connections and stay vital through our MiXt Co. class and performance project.
• We are committed to bringing a range of amazing guest artists to the local dance community, and we hope to remain a reliable, accessible “home” for dancers who would otherwise not connect to dance regularly.
Our campaign for growth in 2015 will begin Tuesday, Dec. 16. We have several generous donors who will match a portion of funds raised between Dec 16-Dec. 31. Our priority is getting more people involved and invested in our program. We hope to raise enough funding to continue running the program with integrity and pilot our first Professional Dance Grant for the upcoming MiXt Co. season. We very much appreciate your encouragement, and we thank you for considering sharing in the success of our next year of major development. Here are some ways you can get involved:
• Make a contribution to MB/VW before Dec. 31 to ensure your contribution is matched in our campaign for growth. Contributors of any amount from $25-$149 can join us for a complimentary class in our upcoming MiXt. Co, season. ($24 value of complimentary class is not tax deductible.)
• Become a “member” of MB/VW. Contributors of $150 or more enjoy affiliate rate for all MB/VW programs (MiXt Co. performance project, classes, or performances).
• Let us know if you are interested in underwriting a MiXt Co. Professional Dance Grant or if you know someone who may be interested. For more details, contact Marcia.
If you are not able to help at this time, please know, when you take a class, attend a performance or spread the word about our programs, you are making an invaluable contribution and ensuring momentum for the future! It energizes us to see people taking advantage of this opportunity and sharing the gift of dance. We hope to dance with you in 2015!
Artistic Director, Marcia Brooks/Various Works
Marcia Brooks/Various Works is a sponsored artist with The Performance Zone Inc (dba The Field), a not-for-profit, tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization serving the performing arts community. Contributions to The Field earmarked for Marcia Brooks/Various Works are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. For more information about The Field contact: The Field, 75 Maiden Lane, Suite 906 New York, NY 10038, phone: 212-691-6969 or for our national charities registration. A copy of our latest financial report may be obtained from The Field or from the Office of Attorney General, Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ONGOING SUPPORT!!!